Sunday, January 20, 2008

Healing Shawl


I got a phone call a few days ago from a woman from my church (http://www.rruuc.org/) who is part of a caring circle of Mindful Knitters. They have made me a healing shawl. This is the Unitarian Universalist version of a prayer shawl. Cynthia brought it to me last night. She also had her 3 yo son with her so we didn’t get to converse too much. It is crocheted in muted earth tones, clay, silvery grey. In the natural sunlight that floods my apartment in the afternoon, I see it is rose and a deeper rose.
It came with this blessing

May grace be upon this shawl…
Warming, comforting,
Enfolding and embracing.

May this mantle be a safe haven…
A sacred place of security and well-being…
Sustaining and embracing in good times as well as difficult ones.

May the one who receives this shawl
Be cradled in hope, kept in joy, graced with peace, and wrapped in love.

Blessed Be

Adapted from Prayer of Blessing for a Completed Shawl by Janet Bristow.

Unfortunately, one of the side effects of the radiation treatment is my skin has turned pink like a mild sunburn. I am having trouble staying cool, not warm! But comforting, yes. The Alpha cat loves it already. He thinks it was made for him.
Also note that since my surgery, this 10 year old cat sits on the couch with me, next to me, for the first time ever.

No comments: